In the 2012 winter design competition Freedom Of Creation Talents are asked to create an 'interior jewel'; an eye-catching item that gives a personal touch to an interior and revives it. Zaha Hadid has co-written this assignment and will personally take part in the jury.
Freedom Of Creation has commissioned an innovation group from Delft University to conduct research on the needs of interior product consumers. The results show that especially young people are very interested in small eye-catching items that give a personal touch to their interior: an object that customizes the standard Ikea cupboards, gives a second life to an inherited furniture piece or can hold a coat, but is almost too appealing to use it as that...
Z-chair, design by Zaha Hadid for 'Sawaya & Moroni'
3D printing is a perfect and competitive technology for small items that require a high level of detail and geometric complexity. The 'interior jewel' we want the Talents to design is a knob/handle/hanger that can be applied throughout the whole interior: on cupboards/drawers, doors and as a hanger on the wall.
These are the design guidelines:
• There should be a small and large variant, which are visually coherent:
small: bounding box volume (the smallest box you could fit the part in) is no larger than 40 cm3
large: bounding box volume is no larger than 100 cm3
• The design should be suited for interior knob, handle and hanger use
• The design should be new and have the power to make the interior feel more modern, sophisticated and coherent
• The design should be durable; no failure even after thousand times of usage
• It should have space for a M4x12 mm millimeter cylinder thread screw; this enables the user to fix it to a door (knob/handle) or the wall (hanger)
• Should be producible in Selective Laser Sintered Alumide (mixture of Nylon and Aluminium). If you e-mail us your address before November 15th, we will make sure you receive a material sample
This is bonus:
• it enhances ergonomics; increased hold/grip compared to traditional handles/knobs
• it has moving features that increase user interaction
• it offers a completely new solution to an existing functionality
The items are intended to be sold as a set of 4 small knobs and 2 large knobs, with a retail price of €150 euro for the set.
The 3D-file for the required internal screwthread can be downloaded from the protected Talents area. There you can also find the Delft research outcomes, which can serve as input/inspiration for your design.
Deliverables feedback moment* (optional):
• Before January 1st send an explanation of your ideas, preferably with sketches or screenshots
• Within 10 days FOC will advise on which direction to pursue
E-mail the following to firstname.lastname@example.org before February 1st 2012:
• 3D-files of your design in STL-format (both size variants)
• PDF-file explaining the concept
• 2 high-res renderings of the design in Jpeg format
Jury: Janne Kyttanen (FOC), Zaha Hadid and third jury member still to be announced
1st prize: the winner will receive 250,- euro in prize money
1st & Runners up: the best entries will be sold in the FOC online store and through FOC dealers worldwide. Selected Talents will receive 5% royalties and a free 3D printed copy of their design
*Only submissions from pre-selected FOC Talents will be reviewed for this design brief! If you are a designer with advanced CAD/CAM experience, you can apply to join the Talents program by sending your portfolio to: email@example.com
Abu Dhabi Performing Arts Centre, design by Zaha Hadid
About Zaha Hadid
Zaha Hadid is an architect who consistently pushes the boundaries of architecture and urban design. Her work experiments with spatial quality, extending and intensifying existing landscapes in the pursuit of a visionary aesthetic that encompasses all fields of design, ranging from urban scale through to products, interiors and furniture. Best known for her seminal built works (Vitra Fire Station, Land Formation-One and the Strasbourg Tram Station) her central concerns involve a simultaneous engagement in practice, teaching and research.
About FOC Talents
Twice a year Freedom Of Creation provides a design brief to a group of pre-selected and talented 3D designers, of which the best entries are added to the permanent collection. The assignments are the result of a cooperation with designers like Zaha Hadid, Ross Lovegrove, Karim Rashid, Frank Tjepkema and Ted Noten. Submitted designs have been published in numerous design magazines and websites, such as Frame, Wired, Cnet, Mocoloco, Business Insider and Casa da Abitare. Freedom Of Creation believes that the young, digital and international nature of the Talents will result in successful new products that showcase the future archetypes of digitally created shapes.